"Should You Buy or Build Reporting Software?"
Here’s a look at 10 key considerations that will guide your decision.
The Engine is a set of code libraries for integrating reporting and document generation into both internal and commercial software applications.
The solution is easy to embed, and you can connect the Java Report Engine, .NET Report Engine, or the RESTful Report Engine to virtually any data source. The Engine is one part of the Windward Embedded Solution (see below for more detail).
Who is the Engine for?
The Engine is perfect for developers at software companies, consultancies, and enterprises who need to add hassle-free reporting and docgen to their applications.
Here are a few of the reasons why you would want to join the thousands of developers who have switched to using the Windward Engine:
- You want user-friendly reporting functionality that makes your customers happy.
- You need to format documents precisely and without restrictions.
- You want to pull data from one or more sources simultaneously.
- You want your end users to have control over document design and remove your developers from the business of template creation and modification.
- You want to lower your development costs and have someone else focus on adding new features to the software.
See What the Engine Can Do
Watch the Engine Overview
Take the Embedded Product Tour
What Can You Do with the Windward Engine?Windward
Embed Reporting Easily into Your Application
You and your development team can integrate reporting and document generation functionality into your application in as few as 14 lines of code. With less coding and more time to test, you’ll get to market faster with a higher-quality product and lower development costs. Not bad!Windward
Install on Your Existing Server
You can use your existing server because the Windward Engine does not require its own stand-alone server or a separate physical server. You do not have to have Microsoft Office installed on the server.Windward
Work in Your Preferred Programming Language
The Engine works with all .NET and Java languages. Looking for a solution that works with your particular language of choice? Check out our extensive languages page.Windward
Connect to Multiple Data Sources Simultaneously
Windward lets you connect to as many data sources as you need when creating a report or document; it’s easy with our intuitive data source connectors.Windward
Generate Any Output Format You Need
You can output to whatever standards your organization and customers have. Choose from DOCX, RTF, PDF, HTML, XLSX, or even directly to your printer. Don’t see your format listed? Drop us a note.
Attain Impressive Reporting Speed
The Windward Engine is so fast output is measured in pages per second, not seconds per page. There is no trade off between efficient memory use and fast speed. The Windward Engine doesn’t bog down your system and is ideal for embedding in your own software application.Windward
Produce Loads of Reports Per Day
You can produce hundreds of thousands of reports every day. The Engine is fully re-entrant and thread safe.Windward
Expect Great Support
The Engine includes complete documentation and a professional support team. Plus, the Catapult help guide, which is installed with the Engine, offers tutorials, examples, code samples, and everything else you might need to integrate the Engine with your software product.
In the words of our customers at RepLink, “Customer service is outstanding. Windward does just what we need it to do.”
How Does the Engine Fit in the Windward Embedded Solution?
The Report Engine uses the templates designed in AutoTag to create customized reports from your databases and other data sources. Most use cases with the Engine involve at least one instance of AutoTag.
AutoTag is the Windward design tool that lets you create report and document templates in Microsoft Office. AutoTag offers design without restrictions that can be done outside of development by business professionals and end users.
Choose Your Engine Version
Click the buttons below for information on the .NET and Java Engines.
- Any version of Windows that can run .NET 3.5. works as the operating system. This includes
- Windows (2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1)
- Windows Server (2003, 2003 R2, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2)
- No webserver (IIS, Apache, etc) required.
- Java 1.4 or higher.
- If you are running Java on a Unix system, all fonts used in the templates must be properly purchased and installed for a Unix system.
- Windows operating system (Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2005, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Server 2008 R2)
- Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS)
- The “.NET Framework 3.5.1 Features” Feature with all sub-components (“.NET Framework 3.5.1″ and “WCF Activation”)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008 (any edition, including Express)
Try Windward Now!
Get your hands on one of the most advanced and powerful reporting engines on the market.